Sometimes medical conditions, disability, or head injury can affect the way and speed at which a person makes decisions, processes information, and reacts to their surroundings.
We provide an assessment of …
- Drivers with medical conditions
- Drivers with disabilities
- Children or adults traveling as passengers
- Drivers with head injury returning to work in a driving profession
The New Zealand Transport Agency require drivers to be deemed “medically fit to drive” in the presence of a medical condition (NZ Transport Agency – Medical Aspects of Fitness to drive, July, 2009).
Professional Driving Assessments
Our driving assessments are comprehensive and specific to New Zealand conditions. We are able to provide medical professionals with reliable and relevant information that will assist in the decision-making process of whether or not to renew or support a driver’s license application.
- We use the Drive Safe Drive Aware cognitive assessment, conduct visual screening, assess road knowledge, screen physical movement, position sense and reaction times.
- We use an Occupational Therapist specifically trained in driver assessment to administer all assessments, and we provide comprehensive reporting and recommendations based on the assessment outcome.
- We use registered Driving Instructors for the on-road component of assessment.
- We offer remedial training if considered appropriate.
- We offer driver training for people requiring vehicle modifications.
- We are locally operated, and will travel throughout Northland.
Driving Assessment Costs
- Costs are paid by the person being assessed at a rate of $500.00 plus GST per assessment.
- Clients will be invoiced once the assessment is booked, and payment is required in full prior to the assessment being carried out.
- Follow up consultations will incur additional costs.
- Travel charges may be applicable outside the greater Whangarei area.
Our Occupational Therapist driving assessor is credentialed with both Ministry of Health and ACC, as well as registered with NZ Transport Agency to conduct assessments of medical fitness to drive.
She has several years’ experience, having conducted in excess of 1000 driving assessments.
Our driving instructors are registered and have a broad range of experience. A vehicle in which to complete the on-road component of assessment can be made available upon request.
Driving Assessment Referrals
We provide a proactive and swift response to referrals from General Practitioners, Case Managers, Insurance Providers and Allied Health Professionals. Please see the right hand side of this page for referral options or use our Online Referral Form…